What Information We Collect
Information Collected About You
You may provide us with certain information in connection with a transaction or in your interactions with our websites and at our locations. We collect the following types of personal information from you:
- Your name, contact information, date of birth, driving licence number and expiration date and emergency contact information;
- Vehicle rental information, including the location of where the vehicle is rented, date of rental, type of rental and your preferences;
- Information you provide regarding your marketing preferences or in the course of participating in surveys or promotional offers;
- Photographs you submit of you and your driving licence or your receipts through camera features available on some of our mobile applications and websites;
- Financial information that is necessary to facilitate the purchase or lease of a vehicle from a Flexxilease location Third parties provide us with additional information about you, including:
- Referral Sources, such as third party online booking sites (who provide us general contact information and a booking confirmation number to facilitate the rental), your employer (general contact information) and your insurance provider (general contact and policy information).
- Where applicable, our Refer-A-Friend programmes.
- Credit reporting agencies, who, for fraud prevention purposes, provide us with identity-related information.
- Franchisees, who provide us information regarding your rental transactions.
- Service Providers, such as customer support (customer service-related information and enquiries made by you), customer survey providers (your response to our customer service surveys) and marketing providers (information to assist us to better communicate our products and services).
Vehicle Operation and Location Data
Our vehicles may be equipped with a vehicle telematics system ("Telematics System"). Some or all Telematics System functionality will be active during rental periods. Telematics Systems provide us with use of, disclosure of or access to (1) location information, (2) crash notification and related crash data, (3) operational condition, mileage, diagnostic and performance reporting of vehicles and (4) driver behavioural information ("Telematics Data"), as permitted by law.
We are not responsible for any data that is left in the vehicle as a result of your use. We cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of such information and you must wipe it before you return the vehicle to us.
Telematics Data will be shared with emergency service providers, others who assist in responding to an accident, telematics service operators or those with whom we have a legal or contractual obligation to provide such data.
How We Use Information About You
We use the information we collect from you or about you to provide you with our services and for the following purposes:
Where it is necessary for us to enter into a contract with you and provide services to you for the duration of the contract, including
- To assist the transactions that you request, such as reserving, renting, purchasing or leasing motor vehicles.
- To provide customer service related to your interactions with us or to respond to your enquiry.
- To enrol you in our loyalty programmes and send non-promotional information relating to your ongoing membership of these programmes.
Where necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, including
- To share information about your vehicle's location with emergency services in the event that you are involved in a road accident.
- To share information with government and regulatory authorities when required by law or in response to legal process, obligation or request.
Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, as listed below, and where our interests are not overridden by your data protection rights, including
- To communicate important information about your rental, such as arrival and return alerts. These communications, which are transactional in nature, will be sent to you via email or SMS.
- To assist us in providing better products and services: for example, to evaluate the performance of our staff, to assess the quality of products and services received and to help us improve our websites, facilities and services.
- To compile statistics and analysis about our customers' use of our websites, products and services. These statistics are used only to enable us to provide better customer service, products, features and functionality to you and other customers in the future.
- To develop a profile of you and your interactions with us so that we can provide tailored offers, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you.
- To protect our legal rights and manage the security of our networks and property. For example, we will use CCTV to ensure the security of our premises and we maintain Do Not Rent lists of customers that are non-payment or safety risks.
- To share your information with third parties in order to prevent fraud and protect our business interests and rights, privacy, safety and property or that of the public. We will do this to collect unpaid bills, to avoid liability for penalties you incur (e.g. fixed penalty notices for driving offences) and for claims processing purposes.
- To share your information with third parties in order to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damage that we may sustain and to enforce the terms of any rental agreement or our websites' terms and conditions. We will also disclose your information to third parties if the rights of another individual may be violated.
Where you have given consent, including
- To assist us in providing you with the most appropriate vehicles, such as those with adaptive driving devices. In some cases, this will require us to infer or explicitly collect information about your health or physical condition.
- To enable us to use telematics (e.g. for the purposes of tracking mileage and location in the event of theft and to alert us if the telematics systems has been removed or tampered with).
- To send you certain promotional or targeted marketing communications, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you. These will include invitations to join our loyalty programmes, upgrade announcements, electronic newsletters and communications regarding an incomplete online membership form or reservation. Some of these offers will be received in advertising on non-Flexxilease sites, including on social media.
- To send you text messages in order to provide you with time sensitive communications related to your transaction (e.g., delays or vehicle delivery update), extended rental opportunities, customer experience surveys, marketing promotions such as coupons, discounts, last-minute specials or loyalty and rewards information.
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for as long as we need to fulfil our business purposes, as set out below:
Marketing purposes:We keep data linked to cookies and other online identifiers for up to three years. We keep other marketing information, such as email subscription and loyalty enrolment data for up to 7 years after your last interaction with us.
Rental transactions:We keep the data associated with your rental agreement for up to 7 years from the date of the rental, subject to other local legal requirements. We keep records of payments you have made for 2 years from the date of the transaction (depending on the location of the rental).
Customer service related queries:We keep general queries for 3 years, unless you make a complaint, in which case, we keep complaints data for 7 years.
Disputes & law enforcement:If we are involved in litigation or a governmental or regulatory investigation, then we keep data throughout the period of litigation or investigation and for 5 years after that. If a settlement means that we have to keep data for longer, then we keep data for the period required to administer the settlement. If we provide data to law enforcement agencies, then we keep a record of this for one year beyond the end of the investigation.
Who We Share Information With
Our Service Providers And Business Partners
We will share your information with third parties, such as (1) payment, administrative and technical support providers or our insurance replacement, corporate rental or other customers or partners to facilitate the rental transaction and rewards programmes with Flexxilease, (2) companies who conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys on our behalf, (3) communication providers that send email and other marketing and service-related communications to you on our behalf, (4) customer support providers, such as the provider of our live chat feature, in order to provide customer service to you, (5) debt collection providers, (6) claims processors, and (7) our advertising and marketing partners and third-party media properties, including social media sites, with whom we share aggregated or de-identified information about our customers, to allow them to send targeted advertising messages on our behalf, to analyse, enhance and manage our data, conduct mobile analytics services and to maintain and improve our services (subject to confidentiality agreements as appropriate) (7) Vehicle Supliers and Distribution partners.
Your personal information may also be shared with government authorities as outlined above.
Sale, Merger or Change in Control
Your information may also be transferred to another company in the event of a transfer, change of ownership, reorganisation or assignment of all or part of Flexxilease businesses or assets. This will occur if the parties have entered into an agreement under which the collection, use and disclosure of the information is limited to those purposes of the business transaction, including a determination whether or not to proceed with the business transaction. You will be notified via email or prominent notice on our websites for thirty (30) days of any such change in ownership or control of your personal information or as otherwise may be required or permitted by law.
We may post customer testimonials on our websites which may contain personal information. We use a third-party provider to manage this process. This provider is responsible for obtaining your consent as necessary, removing content upon your request and answering any questions you may have.
Other rights you have may include: 1) asking for a copy of your personal information, 2) to correct it, 3) to erase certain categories or types of information, 4) to restrict certain processing, 5) to obtain the information you provide in a structured, machine readable format and 6) to transfer some of this information to other organisations.
You have the right to object to the processing of personal information on the basis of our legitimate interests. Where we have asked for your consent to process information, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority regarding our processing of your personal information and/or how we have responded to or handled any concern you have raised with us.
We reserve the right not to allow access to your information or to limit your rights (e.g. if such disclosure is prohibited by law or if the rights of another individual might be violated). In some instances, this may mean that we are able to retain your personal information even if you withdraw your consent.
You have the right to object to direct marketing as well as profiling we perform for the purposes of direct marketing. You will be able to opt out of direct marketing communications from Flexxiease and our Affiliates and by following the instructions in each communication you receive. You may also contact us directly using the link at the top of this page.
You can opt out of display ads you see on non-Flexxilease sites by clicking on ad choices icon in the ad or through the privacy settings on the site.
Changes To These Policies
Cookies allow a website to remember your preferences, improve the user experience and tailor the adverts you see to those that are most relevant to you. Cookies are sent back to the originating site on each subsequent visit or to another site that recognises the cookie.
We also use other forms of technology which serve a similar purpose to cookies and which allow us to monitor and improve our sites and apps. We use these in connection with cookies to help operate our websites and emails and collect information about online activity. When we talk about cookies in this Policy, this term includes these similar technologies.
To provide you with the service you have requested.We use these cookies to enable you to move around our sites and apps and to use their features - for example, to provide secure login, remember your application etc.
To analyze and improve your browsing experience.We use these cookies to analyse site and mobile app usage so we can measure and improve performance - for example, to make sure the website looks consistent, to gather statistics about its use and to know if you use actions in our apps such as to call Roadside Assistance or use the Contact Us function. They also allow our sites and apps to remember choices you make (such as your user name or the region you are in) and to provide you with enhanced and more personalised features
How Can You Manage Cookies?
Session cookies are used for your current browser session and will expire after you close your browser. Persistent cookies are used to enhance your experience between website visits and will remain on your computer until you delete them or until they reach their set expiry date. You always have the ability to manually delete cookies.
If you are using our content via a web browser, you can change your cookie preferences and withdraw your consent at any time.